Do you have an old window lying around? Make a dry-erase memo board from an old window!
I needed a calendar for my office/desk area, but I didn’t want to buy another dry erase calendar/memo board.
I still have a pile of old windows in my garage from a curbside rescue, and I realized that glass is the perfect dry-erase surface!
I would need a background for the board, though. The walls in my office (the guest room) are gray, so I wanted something colorful for a backing. What did I have on hand? No scrapbook paper or fancy paper. I didn’t want to paint it.
Wrapping paper! I had plenty of that!
Let’s get started…
How to Make a Memo Board from an Old Window
First, clean the window.
Once both sides of the window are clean and while they are drying, get your supplies together. You need: wrapping paper (or you could use scrapbook or other paper – use what you have on hand), tape, and (as you will see in a bit) poster board is helpful.
As you can see, Hank was supervising. A dog supervisor is also helpful.
Anyway, pick the papers you want to use and cut them to size. I just laid it over the window pane and then cut it. It doesn’t have to be perfect.
I attached the paper with duct tape.
NOTE: Attaching the paper with duct tape worked, and it was relatively easy and painless to do. But then I ran out of duct tape (GASP!).
I tried using packing tape, but it didn’t work as well. The tape just wasn’t as flexible. I needed a different way.
Instead, I started cutting poster board to the size of the pane and then wrapped – like a present (duh!) – the poster board with the wrapping paper. Then I could just attach the poster board piece in place with tape, which was much, much easier to do.
Once all the paper is attached, well, to be honest, it looks ugly. Don’t despair! The back won’t show!
The moment of truth is next…flip it over.
Next, attach rings to hang it. I love the Ook hangers (no, they did not pay me to say that. I really do love them).
Then hang it up. I put mine right over my desk.
Ready to go! I wrote in the days of the week and it’s done!
The whole project took me a little more than an hour and cost me nothing, because I had all the supplies on hand.
To see how I updated this memo board, click HERE.