Good Monday morning!
Usually, when I have a project I want to complete that involves a mess, I use the kitchen table or the garage. But this ends up being problematic, because (a) I don’t want to get paint, glue, whatever on the rug in the breakfast room; (b) I have to move the project if it’s mealtime; and (c) the garage isn’t so warm in the winter!
I wanted and needed my own creative space.
Our guest room has my desk in it anyway, and it also has this wonky little alcove by the closet. The alcove seemed the perfect place for a little creative area.
Without further ado, here’s my new work and craft area!!
It’s perfect for me. It’s bright, and has a mixture of old stuff (the Coke crate) and bright, modern stuff (the Matisse print). Happy.
And it didn’t cost me anything (other than time) because I used what we already had! Score!
But it wasn’t easy…
Step 1: I had to empty the space.
So the first step in this project was clearing out that area and figuring out where to put all that stuff if it wasn’t going back in the craft/work space. Here’s what it looked like once I emptied the space:
Of course, once I emptied it, here’s what the rest of the guest room looked like (oy):
Just had to remember that mess = progress.
Step 2: What to do about the vanity.
As you know from this post and the picture above, there’s a vanity against that back wall. To tear it out or not to tear it out…that was the question.
Ultimately, I decided not to tear it out, for three reasons: (1) it would have inevitably meant some drywall repair, and I wanted this project to be finished this weekend; (2) the vanity has two holes in the back of it: a pipe opening and a hole that has the electrical/plug behind it. It was never plumbed, but the pipe is sticking out a bit and it is ugly.
Didn’t want to deal with that. And (3) the floor – under the white tile that’s there now is gold speckled linoleum. Did NOT want to deal with that, either – at least not now. So, the vanity stayed. It does have this cool tag on it:
So, I decided I had to work with it, which was a bit problematic. Which brings me to…