When I was a kid, I remember when, about this time of year, the Sears catalog would arrive in the mail. My brother and I would take turns poring over it, and circling everything we wanted. My mom would hear us say, “I want THAT,” every five seconds or so, and, before she knew it, half the catalog was circled. My mom would then make a list, head off to Sears, find and buy some of what we circled, and then hide it in the attic before Christmas.
Now, my kids do that with online shopping. No, thankfully, they don’t circle things on the computer monitor. They go to a website, find stuff, create a wish list, and hope that Santa brings it to them. The downside for me is that I can only see what they’ve picked online; I can’t see it in person before buying it.
For example, last year, my daughter found a sweatshirt she wanted from an online retailer. I ordered what I thought would be her size, and, when it came, I wrapped it for Christmas. On Christmas morning, when she opened it, it wasn’t at all what she thought it was and it wasn’t the right size. She was disappointed, and I had to explain how Santa had gotten her size and order completely wrong. Oops.
Sears now has a service that prevents such a disaster. It’s a new service called Reserve It, and it’s a great feature that combines online shopping with the ability to try before you buy.
This saves so much time because I can see what my local store has while I’m shopping online, and I don’t have to spend time returning it if it doesn’t fit. I just reserve it at the store, go and try it on, and buy it or leave it. Done.
Specifically, here’s how Reserve It works:
1. Go to Sears.com and log in to your Shop Your Way account (or create a new one, if you don’t have one). Select your local Sears store. Then the site will automatically update to include items that are in-stock at that store.
2. Click on the item of clothing or accessories you want and select “Reserve In Store” on the right side of the screen.
3. You will receive an email notification when your item(s) are ready to try on. Sears will hold your items for 48 hours.
4. When you arrive at Sears, head to the Reserve It rack, located in the women’s apparel section, and try on what you picked. What you’ve reserved will have a tag on it with your name, so it’s easy to find.
5. Check out as you normally would. If you decide not to purchase anything, just leave it in the dressing room.
I need a holiday party dress – I think I’m going to try using Reserve It to find one. (Although, honestly, with this cold weather, I should order some warm boots and a fleece!)
Would you use a service like this for your clothes shopping? How would you use Reserve It? Share below in the comments – I’d love to hear!
I’m a member of the Sears Blogger Squad and was compensated for this post; however, all writing and opinions here are 100% my own. Also, I miss getting the Sears catalog.
Thanks for stopping by!