I was provided the paint for this project from Modern Masters, but all other materials and all opinions here are 100% my own. I will never recommend a product that I wouldn’t use myself. Pinky swear.
As you know, we just moved into the new-to-us 1929 home. The front door on our house is actually not on the front of the house; it’s to the side. So I wanted to make it stand out a bit more – paint it a bright color.
When Modern Masters asked me if I wanted to review its Front Door Paint, I jumped at the chance! I’ll go ahead and show you the before and after, then give you the details on how it all went.
I love it!
So, here’s how it all happened.
Modern Masters has an app called, aptly enough, Front Door Paint. Once you download the app to your phone, take a picture of your door with the app. Then you can apply any of the paint colors to the picture of the door to see what it will look like painted that color.
To paint the door, first, I sanded it. The paint that was on the door was glossy black, so I needed to rough it up a bit so the paint would adhere.
I then removed the hardware from the door – much easier to paint that way (rather than taping it off and painting around it!). I didn’t prime the door before painting it because I was painting it a dark color. If I had been painting it a lighter color, I would have primed it first.
Here’s how the first coat looked:
Not bad. It covered well, but some black paint was still showing through. The paint instructions say that two coats are usually needed, so I expected that.
The paint dries to the touch in one hour and you can re-coat in two hours.
Here’s the finished product, after two coats:
I also changed the door knocker from one with a previous owner’s name to one we got for our wedding, many moons ago.
I like having a front door that’s personalized for our family.
(The reclaimed wood house numbers came from the Country Living Fair this year, FYI.)
My take on Modern Masters Front Door Paint? Two thumbs up. Here’s why.
– The app makes it easy to choose a color. The color I chose on the app was very close to the color in real life, once on the door.
– The paint is easy to apply and covers well.
– Clean-up is easy – soap and water did the trick, even for the brush that I put in a zip-top bag between coats.
– The paint has very little odor.
– I like the container the paint comes in – it’s a plastic jar with a screw-on top. It’s cleaner and easier to open.
– I like that you can use this paint when the temperature ranges from 40 to 90 degrees. That means you can paint virtually any time.
– The quick drying time is great – then you don’t have to leave your front door open for hours!
Words of caution:
– When you first put the paint on, it will be lighter than the color you chose. It will darken as it dries. I say this because, at first, my daughter and I weren’t sure we had chosen the right color. Once it dried, we both loved it and agreed it was the one I had originally chosen.
Overall, I’m thrilled with the results! Now our home looks fresh and bright for the holidays.
If you have any questions about this product or painting or anything else, please leave a comment below.